THE ANCIENT VILLAGE
The story of Lupompesi is linked to the nearby medieval village of Murlo and to “Via di Lupo Impiso” (way of the hung wolf), the road that Romans used to transport the precious salt of Lake Prile to the most important cities of Tuscany. This same route could be used even on pre-Roman age, in fact this justifies the importance of Murlo, the site of an Etruscan building.
On the Lombard age the way was important because leading to holy places where rituals were held celebrate such as the ritual of the “sacred wood of Upsala”, in honor of Odino and the Lombard ritual of “The sacred Tree”, which an animal, maybe a wolf, hanging from a tree was the point around which took place wild evolutions of warriors on horseback, perhaps hence the name Lupompesi = Luppo appeso or Lupo in pisu = wolf hanging or wolf in a pear tree.
This last tradition has been maintained up to 1785, transforming in time from a Pagan ritual to a Christian rite; this shows that to play horse races in Siena dates back long before the establishment of the modern Palio di Siena. This is also documented by the images of similar events on Etruscan bas-reliefs of the temple of Poggio Civitate.