The Ancient Village
The story of Lupompesi is associated to the nearby medieval village of Murlo and to “Via di Lupo Impiso” (way of the hanged wolf), the road that Romans used to transport the precious salt of Lake Prile to the most important cities of Tuscany. This same way could be used even on pre-Roman times; in fact this justifies the importance of Murlo, the place where was raised up an Etruscan building.
During the Lombard age this way was important because it lead to holy places where rituals were celebrate such as the ritual of the “sacred wood of Upsala”, in honor to Odino and the Lombard ritual of “The sacred Tree”, in which an animal, maybe a wolf, hanging from a tree was the point where took place wild evolutions of warriors on horseback, perhaps for this reason the name Lupompesi = Luppo appeso or Lupo in pisu = wolf hanging or wolf in a pear tree.
This last tradition has been maintained until 1785, transforming with time from a Pagan ritual to a Christian ritual; this demonstrates that the horse races in Siena date back before the modern Palio of Siena was established. This is also proved by the Etruscan bas-reliefs images of similar events in the temple of Poggio Civitate.